Sunday 24 November 2013

Prisoners Review


Director: Denis Velleneuve

Starring: Hugh Jackman, Jake Gyllenhaal, Viola Davis, Terrence Howard, Maria Bello, Melissa Leo, Paul Dano

Rating: 18/R

Plot: When Keller Dover's daughter and her friend go missing, he takes matters into his own hands as the police pursue multiple leads and the pressure mounts. But just how far will this desperate father go to protect his family? (Taken from IMDB)

My Thoughts: The first and only thing to start off with is this is possibly the best abduction/kidnapping stories I have ever seen. This film works so well on so many different levels, firstly the cast in every sense were incredible. They all pull out stellar performances. I mainly know Jackman from the X-men films and was worried I wouldn't see him other than being Wolverine. Within the first 20 minutes of the film you forget all about that and get so engrossed in his character and the film. The story is something that has been portrayed before but I have never seen it with this much raw emotion. At times I found myself not even knowing who the abductor was, it made me question what I thought I knew and it really makes the audience think 'would you do the same thing in that position?'. At times I was on the edge of my seat, sometimes hiding behind a pillow. This is a real gripping story told perfectly with this style of film. the pacing was good there were no moments I found myself wondering if I should go make a cup of tea. 
The only downside I could say is possibly the length of the film, it is over 2 hours but if your someone like me who fully gets into a film then this wont be a problem. The cinematography is incredible and some scenes are perfectly put together, I have never seen any other films of Velleneuve but I certainly will be on the look out now. This is definite must to watch and one of my favourites to come out of this year.

5/5

Till next time
heather



No comments:

Post a Comment